Saturday, December 12, 2009

BACK IN THE DAY: AN ODE TO SONIC YOUTH

Three years ago today I wrote a livejournal entry on the importance of Sonic Youth. To commemorate this moment in my life, I am reposting it for all to see. It also got published in York University's Excalibur. I submitted it as a joke and it actually went through with some editing. Quality journalism right here, folks.

Cheers!



Sonic Youth is amazing. They are the reason why you listen to music. They are the reason why so many bands exist today. It took me a few years and many tries to get into them. Now that they have grabbed my heart and entangled it into their guitar strings, I can't go back. I feel accomplished for letting them devour my soul with such intensity.

I first bought Goo in grade eleven from an unpolished used CD store on Bloor street, knowing that the album would somehow impact my taste in music. I did this even though I wasn't enthusiastic about them. It was one of the best $7 including tax I ever spent on music.

Sonic Youth owns music. They have influenced a large volume of artists, including your band. Even if you've never listened to Sonic Youth, they have influenced you. Even if your band sucks, they have influenced you. Sonic Youth is so superior that they invade your subconscious.

Sonic Youth has always been one of those "essential" artists, despite what musical genre they are placed in. Sonic Youth overrides grunge and indie and every other musical category. Sonic Youth is better and arguably more essential than Stephen Malkmus' band Pavement. I could list all the bands Sonic Youth is better than, especially from the late 80s to mid-90s, but I would be wasting my time, and yours.

There is a small chance that Sonic Youth might even be better than the Pixies. I'll have to get back to you on this, though.

Plus, Sonic Youth has ubiquitously invaded my childhood cartoon-watching experiences. Remember when Sonic Youth was on the Simpsons? This is clearly one of the top ten best Simpsons episodes ever. Not to mention, who can forget choppy music video clips of Sonic Youth on Beavis and Butthead in the mid-90s? Not me. I bet Daria had a Sonic Youth poster on her wall, too.

Listening to Daydream Nation, Dirty, and even Rather Ripped legitimizes the amazingness that Goo once captivated me with. Years later, I am downloading and purchasing the albums beyond Goo. I know, you're probably like, "What took you so long, poseur?". Dude, I don't care. Now is the best time. Now.

Sometimes the best music you'll discover in your life is almost fifteen years too late. Sometimes the best musicians pick up their instruments before you're born. To see those musicians still impacting music today, whether people realize it or not, is profound and mind-blowing if you really think about it.

I should write an academic thesis on the importance of Sonic Youth in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment