Wednesday, June 8, 2011

KABOOM: FATHERS JOIN CULT, WEAR ANIMAL MASKS


June Temple in Kaboom

I am writing this while my computer tries to de-stress from its recent virus. Seems like it hasn't fully removed its memories and toxicity of the virus, nor will it ever truly detox...

Consider reformatting the beast. Stress out for a while as you reinstall your life, your bookmarks, your electronic soul. Get over the fact that you paid $65 to get it fixed and it still isn't budging. What is this, a lemon?

While my computer was acquiring a virus and sitting in a tech shop, I had the time to watch Kaboom, a 2010 release by cult filmmaker Gregg Araki, distributed by eOne Entertainment in Canada. I haven't watched one of his films in years, I'm talkin' years. The Doom Generation, released in 1995 and described as a sex-and-violence-filled tour across America, was the last film of his I invested in. Things I remember about this film include:

- Darkness
- Cosmic neon lighting
- Anxiety-inducing, swirling scenery
- Social commentary about "our generation"; degeneration
- Rose McGowan's bangs
- Stripes, checkers, and possibly polka dots
- Trippin' balls
- James Duval (Hey! That guy from Donnie Darko)


I belong to The Doom Generation

According to hardcore Araki fans, Kaboom is a throwback to his 90s style of filmmaking. The film is vaguely described as a sci-fi story based around the sexual awakening of a group of college students. Based on my viewing, I would like to list the ingredients of Kaboom and hopefully you will somehow understand the twists and turns of its story:

- 1 kg of pop culture
- 4 kg of sex scenes/dreams/relations - 2 kgs of this must be experimental or sexually undeclared
- 10 kg of sci-fi mixed with horror
- 2 kg of weird dreams involving a red-head woman
- 2 kg of real life involving a red-head woman
- 1 kg of masked assassins
- 7 kg of annoying, "quirky", inauthentic, overly sarcastic characters
- 3 kg of pure, organic kitsch
- 1 kg of horny, awkward, crude language
- 4.5 kg of hallucinogenic drugs
- One cultish twist - choose your own measurement

If you don't feel dirty, dingy, and polyester after watching this film, then you fucked up the recipe. Sorry! Next time, consider having a darker, more experimental, hazy trip. I think Tom Long of Detroit News said it best: "What's going on? Who cares?"

Araki will always be part of my essential high school viewing with The Doom Generation, but I think it's best that our relationship end. If you're curious and you love youthful sci-fi and horror, then I recommend you watch this film.

Kaboom was recently released on DVD and is distributed by Entertainment One in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment