Tuesday, January 11, 2011

MY OBSESSION WITH THOUGHT CATALOG


And so the day begins.

I wake up, read Thought Catalog, and post my favourite articles on my facebook. I don't receive that many comments, which is okay, but I really am starting to wonder why. The fact is this: You need to know about Thought Catalog, especially if you are a 20something who grew up on the internet (literally spending hours on the web, day and night), lived off MTV or Muchmusic, and read Vice Magazine as a teen. It also helps if you tried to start your own zine, you have a hefty opinion on pop culture, and are currently a recent Liberal Arts grad failing to make it in the real world.

That's all me.

For this, I find comfort in Thought Catalog. One Saturday evening, I refused to go out and instead read the entire 136 pages of the blog. (It takes a lot of balls to publish that on the interwebs.) That night, I started bookmarking my favourite posts. There was something refreshingly new yet very nostalgic about the blog. The tone of writing is similar to Vice, a magazine I grew up with in my teen years, Aspiring To Be Everything Like It. That phase is over now. Though I'm not sure I could categorize Thought Catalog into one "style" due to its diverse number of writers, I see where it's going. Thought Catalog inspires me to want to write again in my own voice. And it's fucking hilarious.


A screen shot captured today, 11-01-11 at 1:00pm.


Here are some of my favourite articles published thus far:

An Obituary for Myspace
An Interview With Someone I Just Took a Road Trip With
When I Had a Zine
A Phone Conversation with James Franco
A Letter to Individualism
How to Live in New York City
How to be a Complete Douche
Do Museums Still Matter?
How to Appear Cooler on Facebook Than You Really Are
5 Judgmental Strangers
Why People Love to Hate Eat, Pray, Love and a Confession On Why I Don’t
Korea Field Report: The ESL Gold Rush Pans Out
An Examination of Sofia Coppola’s Career (Thus Far)

This list will continue to grow. In short, you'd be silly to ignore this new generation of writers. Thought Catalog is now.

1 comment: