Monday, September 20, 2010

THE FRENCH ISSUE: FRENCH FRIES


Last year I became deeply obsessed with Wendy’s French Fries. I can’t explain how or why it happened. The once-or-twice-a-year treat turned into a weekly obsession. The fries were skinny and salty enough and they didn’t make my stomach churn like McDonald’s French fries (which taste like sanitary napkins in my humble opinion). I don't like my fries meaty and brown either, and fuck home fries. They’re called “home fries” for a reason – YOU MAKE THEM AT HOME! In my experience Wendy’s fries are an irreplaceable fried and salty delicacy. You can only get them at Wendy’s after all. Ever since 2009, I have developed an obsession with Wendy’s fries and probably gained 10 lbs unnecessarily. Now I can laud myself as a “Professional French Fry Taster”. Watch out, wine tasters, because there’s a new food movement coming and it has nothing to do with bacon, but definitely has a lot to do with burgers. When Wendy’s isn’t around, I can rely on these fellow franchises for my favourite French fries. An ode to the French, mais oui!



WENDY’S
We already talked about how amazing these fries are. They are my #1 smash hit, off the charts classic. Some people find them soggy and gross, but their crisp is phenomenally comforting. Just salt them right and don’t serve them too hot. 10/10.


Image from Yummy-station.com


A&W
Truthfully, when a Wendy’s is nowhere near, A&W fries make a great substitute. They are meaty fries but with just enough crisp to tide me over. Plus, who doesn’t want to go to a franchise that sells miniature baby burgers? 8/10.


Image from Newyorkfoods.seriouseats.com


IKEA
I honestly think IKEA needs to open cafes in the city that only sell food. IKEA furniture is one thing, but let us be frank – we all go to IKEA to have a little meal or two. It’s as exciting as a 2nd grade field trip. Favourite thing to order? The kid’s meatball special, equipped with some of the finest fries I’ll ever eat, and the cheapest. 8/10.


Image from Neogaf.com


HARVEY’S
Harvey’s has excellent burgers but I get a little depressed by their fries. They’re just not the same. I could make better French fries in my own oven and deep fryer (if I was fat enough to own one). I’ll pass on these and just get the veggie burger, or even the poutine. 5/10.


Image from Yummylocal.com


HERO BURGER
Hero Burger probably has the best burger a franchise could ever sell in Canada. You can taste the lack of preservatives. And the fries? Oh the fries! A fantastic Wendy’s substitute! Although last time they tasted a little bitter and I waited a long time for them (at the Queen West location), they were satisfactory. But Hero Burger is not the place to be eating fries solamente, a burger made from 100% certified Canadian beef is quite mandatory. 7/10.

1 comment:

  1. ikea meatballs make me go back everytime and i don't even need furniture.

    tbh i enjoyed how you slipped a pharrell lyric in there.

    ReplyDelete